Prof. Hiroshan Hettiarachchi
Professor and Head of Unit – Waste Management at United Nations University
United Nations University.New Jersey Institute of Technology
Office: UNU-FLORES, Ammonstrasse 74, Dresden, 01067, Germany
- Engineering properties and behavior of soils
- Geotechnical properties of municipal solid waste
- Integrated management of water, soil, and waste
- Safe use of wastewater in agriculture
- Settlement and stability of landfills
- Sustainable solid waste management practices
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology, USA
- Master of Engineering in Geotechnical Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
Hiroshan Hettiarachchi is a Civil Engineering Professor from the United States. He contributed to UNU-FLORES activities since 2013 and in 2014 he joined UNU-FLORES as the Head of Unit – Waste Management. He also took a leading role in establishing the UNU-FLORES Ph.D. The program which is offered jointly with the Technische Universität Dresden, Germany, and was the Program Coordinator until 2016. Before joining UNU, Prof. Hettiarachchi previously served at the Lawrence Technological University, in Michigan, USA, where he held the position of Director of Civil Engineering Graduate Programs from 2010 to 2013. He was also a Visiting Professor at the University Calgary, Alberta, Canada in 2013.
Prof. Hettiarachchi’s current research focus is mainly on sustainable management of solid waste and wastewater. His past research has resulted in the number of publications covering geotechnical properties and behavior of soils and waste and settlement behavior of landfills.